Archive for August 3rd, 2010

source: Sunday Standard
by MORULA MORULA
02-08-2010

Seranne Junner, one of the lawyers in a case Basarwa of the Central Kgalagadi Game Reserve wanted to be allowed to drill their own borehole in the CKGR, says that they intend to appeal against a judgement recently passed by Lobatse High Court judge, Lashkavinder Walia.

Junner said that they are currently studying the judgement but that there are indications that they will soon be heading to the Court of Appeal.

”Indications are that we will appeal the judgement as early as possible because we feel it was wrong,” she said, adding that she will be working with the [continue reading]

Advertisements

source: Mmegi
Mbongeni Mguni
Staff Writer

The results of an exploration study to expand BCL Mine’s resource could be the solution to Selebi-Phikwe’s fears of degenerating into a ghost town.

The mine is the town’s economic mainstay, but could wind up within three years as its lifespan is directly determined by the commercial viability of nickel and copper left underground. Residents of Selebi-Phikwe have lived with the dim prospects of the mine grinding to a halt in 2013, as originally announced in 2006.

However, using the financial and technical support from government and the European Union (EU), BCL mine embarked on an [continue reading]

source: Sunday Standard
by Edgar Tsimane
02-08-2010

Scores of cabinet ministers and Botswana Democratic Party backbenchers on Friday rebelled against Vice President Merafhe in parliament and voted alongside opposition MPs.

BDP parliamentarians met in caucus Friday at tea break where Merafhe instructed them to vote against an amendment to a motion calling on government to appoint a Commission of Inquiry into why Botswana did not benefit from the just ended football World Cup.

The proposed amendment to the motion moved by Botswana Movement for Democracy (BMD) MP Botsalo Ntuane had been tabled by deputy speaker, Pono Moatlhodi.

Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Phandu Skelemani, the Assistant Minister of Local Government, Kentse Rammidi, Tonota South MP and deputy speaker, Pono Moatlhodi, Francistown West MP, Tshelang Masisi, Gaborone South MP, Kagiso Molatlhegi and Tswapong North MP Prince Maele, however defied Merafhe’s instructions and voted with [continue reading]

source: Mmegi
Lekopanye Mooketsi
Correspondent

A study commissioned by the Local Enterprise Authority (LEA) has established that the country mainly relies on imports for pork supplies.

The study showed that local producers only meet 25 percent of the pork demands while the rest is sourced from outside the country.

The study found out that the annual national demand for pork products is 2,417.945 tonnes valued at P41.838 million. The annual supply is estimated to be 1,758.919 tonnes valued at P11 million. The study estimated a shortfall of about 630,864 tonnes.

According to the study, pork is the world’s leading choice meat and its demand will increase globally as a result of growth in per capita consumption and population. However, the study recommends that before the local producers can begin to [continue reading]

source: Sunday Standard
by Godfrey Ganetsang
02-08-2010

Diamond miner—Debswana–continues to outsource and privatise activities and operations that are not in line with its core business of mining, parliament has been told.

This was revealed by the Minister of Minerals Energy and Water Resources Ponatsego Kedikilwe when responding to a question from Ngwaketse West MP, Mephato Reatile.

The MP, whose area includes Jwaneng where Debswana has an operation, had wanted to know the details of the services that Debswana planned to outsource and when the privatisation exercise will be complete.

Debswana completed privatisation and outsourcing of services like cleaning, catering, gardening, retail, bottle store, printing and household gas provision in 2008.

“Debswana has commenced prefeasibility studies to assess privatisation and [continue reading]

source: allAfrica
South African Press Council (Johannesburg)
2 August 2010

As chairman of the South African Press Council which administers the Press Ombudsman system of press self-regulation, I am appalled that the South African Communist Party and the African National Congress are calling for the institution of a statutory media appeals tribunal “to strengthen media freedom and accountability.”

The manner in which this call is being made and the indications, as far as they go, that have been given of the objectives appear to be a clear violation of the constitution in relation to the promotion of freedom of expression and media freedom.

The various reasons for setting up the tribunal offered by office bearers of the two parties and contained in the document put out by the ANC for discussion at its national general council in September– “Media transformation, ownership and diversity’’, are [continue reading]