Archive for July 5th, 2010

source: Sunday Standard
by Godfrey Ganetsang
04-07-2010

Government this week decided to de-recognise the five largest public sector unions, touching off a massive legal battle.

The five public sector unions, the Botswana Public Employees Union, the Botswana Secondary School Teachers Union, the Botswana Teachers Union and the Manual Workers Union on Friday filed an urgent application at the High Court seeking a declaration that government’s decision is unlawful and of no effect.

Speaking to The Sunday Standard on Friday, BOPEU President, Andrew Motsamai, said the respondents, the Director of Public Service Management and the Attorney General, have also been served.

The standoff comes in the wake of the implementation of the new Public Service Act, which effectively creates one employer for the public service. The consolidation of the public service under one umbrella and the establishment of one employer for [continue reading]

Advertisements

source: Mmegi
CALISTUS KOLANTSHO
Correspondent

SELEBI-PHIKWE: Botswana Housing Corporation (BHC) houses that number 184, have been infested by termites as pest controllers are roped in to control the problem amid fears that these insects may eventually damage the structures.

The affected structures were completed in 2008 and 2009 at Phase One Location in Selebi-Phikwe as part of a BHC project to alleviate the housing shortage in the country.

BHC Chief Executive Officer, Reginald Motswaiso told journalists during a press conference this week that certain processes were overlooked during the construction phase. For instance at the foundation stage of a construction project, the soil should have been treated to destroy any living organisms that could damage or compromise the structure in the future. He said such practices include the treatment of the soil to ensure that organisms such as termites, ants and plants do not [continue reading]

source: allAfrica
The Herald (Harare)
Published by the government of Zimbabwe
5 July 2010

Harare — GOVERNMENT has gazetted the four amendments to the Indigenisation and Economic Empowerment Regulations following their approval by Cabinet last month.

In a Statutory Instrument published in an Extraordinary Government Gazette on June 25, but made available last Friday, Youth Development, Indigenisation and Empowerment Minister Saviour Kasukuwere made the announcement after consultation with the board.

The regulations, to be cited as the Indigenisation and Economic Empowerment (Amendment) Regulations 2010 (No 2) redefines words that had been deemed vague.

The regulations define the word “disposal” in relation to the disposal of shares or interests in a business as to mean sell, donate or otherwise dispose.

Businesses had been asked to [continue reading]

source: Mmegi
EPHRAIM KEORENG
Staff Writer

In a shocking event, a defaced speech by President Ian Khama to Kweneng District Council (KDC) was circulated to the media in Molepolole.

Khama read the speech at the full council meeting where he had gone together with his Cabinet to address councillors. Besides Khama, council chairman Motlhopi Leo also read his speech before the full council meeting.

However, Mmegi was shocked to receive a mutilated eight-page Khama speech. The last two pages were partly cut out. On page seven, right at the top, paragraph 17, a sentence referring to the recent walkout by Gaborone City Council (GCC) opposition councillors is there. But the sentence is incomplete, as the other part has been cut out with what looks like a pair of scissors.

The next page, page eight, shows paragraph 19, which is also incomplete.However, the paragraph, which has not been severely cut out points out that “…I do not see how anyone can report fully and truthfully if they have denied themselves the [continue reading]

source: IOL
July 05 2010 at 07:44AM
By Political Bureau

More senior officials are expected to leave the Presidency as President Jacob Zuma overhauls his office. Analysts are blaming the president’s failure to give leadership for the exodus.

A government official said Zuma was expected to ditch some of his seven advisors because he does not rely on them for counsel.

“There is likely to be a clean-up. The president has realised his mistakes (of appointing wrong people) and he is correcting them,” said the official.

This comes after several Sunday newspapers revealed that five senior presidential staff, including director-general Vusi Mavimbela and deputy director-general of communications Vusi Mona, had either resigned, or were to be redeployed following tense relations in [continue reading]