Zimbabwe: Mugabe, Tsvangirai, Mutambara say talks will continue next year

source: SW Radio Africa
By Violet Gonda
23 December 2009

The Principals in the inclusive government met for the last time this year on Wednesday morning and later held a press conference at State House to give a review of the year. The three, Robert Mugabe, Morgan Tsvangirai and Arthur Mutambara, said some progress had been made but that talks will continue in the new year. Journalists present say it was an ‘insignificant’ press conference, which appeared to have been planned as a ‘front’ to say that progress was underway, when in fact the parties had nothing tangible to announce.

Party negotiators met on Monday and then also adjourned to next year. The negotiators are expected to resume discussions on the 16th January. Sources close to the talks said the decision to take a break from the talks was unanimous and that they have so far covered most of the contentious issues.
It is understood 16 out of 27 issues have been agreed on, but they are mostly on procedural issues and not the real sticking points which would show positive change.

There is still no movement on the fundamental issues of [continue reading]



%d bloggers like this: