Archive for May 21st, 2009

source: Mmegi
BRIAN BENZA
Staff Writer

Zambia Copper International (ZCI) yesterday announced that it will provide its takeover target of African Copper (ACU) and its subsidiaries with an extra US$25.4 million funding.

The new offer will enable African Copper to repay in full the P150 million bonds and accrued interest demanded by Natasa last week.Last Friday, African Copper said it received a demand for the redemption of P150 million ($22.3 million) bonds, calling for immediate repayment of the principal amount and accrued interest, leading to its shares on AIM tumbling 31 percent.

In an act which shows great determination to take over African Copper, ZCI yesterday announced that it had amended the previously announced financing package with the addition of a new loan facility pursuant to which ZCI has agreed to provide ACU and its subsidiaries with an additional US$25.4 million of funds.

It made the announcement through [continue reading]

source: allAfrica
Business Day (Johannesburg)
Mathabo le Roux
20 May 2009

Johannesburg — AS THE geopolitical ambitions of SA and Africa shift from trade links with established economies in favour of ties with the robust economies in the southern hemisphere, trade experts are encouraging Africa to engage actively with countries such as China and India to formalise ties.

Asian economies have considerably upped the investment ante on the continent over the past decade. Between 2002 and 2005, China was the second-biggest investor in Africa with 32 new projects.

While China is keen to claim its stake of Africa’s extractive industries such as oil and minerals, it has also been actively involved in strategic sectors such as agri-processing, financial services, power generation, road construction, tourism and telecommunications. Africa would benefit from increased investment in these sectors.

Moreover, Africa’s exports to China have grown impressively. In the five years from 2000 to 2005, the continent’s exports to China increased 48% annually, and at least some [continue reading]

source: Mmegi
OLIVER MODISE
Correspondent

Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) and parliamentary aspirant for Gaborone Central, Gomolemo Motswaledi has called on the Botswana Congress Party’s (BCP) Dumelang Saleshando to stop attacking President Ian Khama.

Speaking at a well-attended BDP rally over the weekend in Gaborone, Motswaledi sent a warning salvo to Saleshando, accusing him of being on a rampage of insulting and defaming Khama. Motswaledi and Saleshando are the two front-runners in the race for Gaborone Central.

Lately, Khama has come under attack from the BCP as a dictator who runs his government through directives. He is also accused of splashing cash at problems and has been branded a ‘father Christmas’ by the BCP’s Saleshando.

Motswaledi labelled Saleshando a hypocrite for claiming that the BDP is a Khama dynasty, adding that BCP is also led by [continue reading]

source: News24
20/05/2009 17:05 – (SA)

Cape Town – The new Cabinet held its first regular fortnightly meeting under President Jacob Zuma at Tuynhuys in Cape Town on Wednesday.

Briefing the media afterwards, government spokesperson Themba Maseko said the primary purpose was to prepare for the Cabinet lekgotla from May 26 to 28.

The lekgotla would deal with three key issues. The first issue would be the adoption of the new medium-term strategic framework (MTSF) following the new electoral mandate.

The second would be to provide the new administration with an opportunity to discuss and plan for [continue reading]

source: Mmegi
EPHRAIM KEORENG
Staff writer

Workers in the labour intensive programme, Namola Leuba, in Gaborone have complained that the Gaborone City Council has cut their wages. According to the complainants, when they started they were paid P360 for 22 days of work it was later increased to P600, where they were working from 6 am to 6 pm, clearing the bushes and cleaning roads and streets.

However, the workers complain that the wages have since been cut down to the original P360.

In an interview last weekend, one of the workers, Julia Baitsile, who was among workers who had temporarily laid down their tools to express their unhappiness with the GCC decision, said that “supervisors who used to be paid P1 080 were now being paid P8 28.”.

Morula, (which covers Gaborone West) Village Development Committee chairperson, Rhoda Sekgororoane said that it was a pity that the council has [continue reading]

source: News24
20/05/2009 22:23 – (SA)

Cape Town – Cabinet ministers want clearer guidelines on handling gifts following the outcry over contractors giving Transport Minister S’bu Ndebele a top of the range Mercedes Benz, government said on Wednesday.

Government spokesperson Themba Maseko said ministers raised the issue at the first meeting of President Jacob Zuma’s new Cabinet and commended Ndebele for returning the car, but mooted revisiting the executive code of ethics.

“Cabinet raised the issue… Maybe we need to look at the ethics handbook to make sure there is proper guidance,” he said.

“Ministers will always be given gifts and as the new Cabinet we should discuss how these things are handled.”

Ndebele bowed to public pressure on [continue reading]

source: Mmegi
NDINGILILO GAOSWEDIWE
Correspondent

FRANCISTOWN: Minister of Trade and Industry Neo Moroka yesterday told licensing committees at the Francistown City Council to show commitment and seriousness when doing their job.

He advised the clutch of councillors to execute their duties professionally and avoid being led by political minds.

He said this during his meeting with the committees to discuss the challenges on the Implementation Trade Act of 2003, Liquor Act of 2003 and the Industrial Development Act of 2006. Due to shortage of staff, councillors have been incorporated into the licensing committee.

The councillors have been accused of working in the interest of their voters or working towards factors that favour them, thus making the job suffer.

When addressing the committees, Moroka said the [continue reading]

source: SW Radio Africa
By Tichaona Sibanda
20 May 2009

Robert Mugabe has apparently refused to budge on his re-appointment of Reserve Bank Governor Gideon Gono and Attorney General Johannes Tomana amid reports the 3 principals have decided to declare a deadlock on these two issues.

When Mugabe, Morgan Tsvangirai and Arthur Mutambara met on Tuesday they agreed that the MDC’s Roy Bennet would finally be sworn in as Deputy Minister of Agriculture. They also agreed on the appointment of five governors from the MDC-T, one from MDC-M, and four from ZANU PF.

Mugabe has also agreed to return the powerful communications portfolio, which he had unilaterally stripped from MDC Minister Nelson Chamisa’s Information, Technology and Communication Ministry and placed under the supervision of his own Ministry of Transport headed by Nicholas Goche.

The state controlled media initially referred to Chamisa as ‘Minister of Information, Technology and Communication,’ but a few days after the communication portfolio was stripped from his [continue reading]

source: IOL
May 20 2009 at 05:21PM

Johannesburg residents will be expected to cough up 30 percent more for their electricity if council approves the budget for the 2009-2010 financial year.

Johannesburg executive mayor Amos Masondo will propose a 30 percent rate increase for electricity costs, in expectation that the National Energy Regulator of SA (Nersa) will approve a 30 percent tariff increase for Eskom, the national electricity supplier.

“Basically we have provided for an increase of 30 percent on Eskom’s behalf, but if they do go for the 34 percent, it will mean a four percent impact on all accounts, but we will go back to council with a new tariff proposal in that regard,” said Rosslyn Greef, mayoral committee member for infrastructure and services.

In the current proposal, residents can expect a 30 percent increase on their electricity bills, should the budget be [continue reading]

source: Mmegi
Siki Motshwari Johanness
Correspondent

Palapye: Ironic as it may seem, the BDP found solace in Kenneth Koma’s teachings in a bid to win the hearts and souls of the people of Palapye. Koma had devoted the whole of his life to opposing BDP and its policies.

Koma’s teachings were remembered by BDP Gaborone Central candidate, Gomolemo Motswaledi during the launch of Lesego Ndala Setlhare, who is vying for the Lotsane council seat on a BDP ticket.

Perhaps realizing that he was launching a political novice in Setlhare, Motswaledi turned the rally into a political lecture on leadership and the challenges ahead. “Although politically I do not agree with Koma on many issues but I agree with him on one thing:

“Koma once said a leader needs three types of friends namely the yes men type (bootlicker), passive/indifferent type and critical type.” The guest speaker implored Setlhare not to alienate any type of friends but to embrace [continue reading]

source: IOL
May 20 2009 at 06:48AM
By Siyabonga Mkhwanazi and Gaye Davis

Transport Minister S’bu Ndebele will be returning the luxury S500 Mercedes-Benz given to him by emerging roadworks contractors – because it would cause “less hassles”.

This was even though, he said, President Jacob Zuma and the ANC leadership had told him he could keep it, as long as he declared it.

The gift of the German sedan, worth more than R1-million, engulfed Ndebele in a wave of controversy within days of his being sworn into the cabinet, and was seen as the first ethics test of the new Zuma administration.

“I am not compelled to return it. My authority here will be the code of ethics of MPs and members of the cabinet, and what the president and [continue reading]

source: IOL
May 20 2009 at 05:18PM

Cabinet ministers want clearer guidelines on handling gifts following the outcry over contractors giving Transport Minister S’bu Ndebele a top of the range Mercedes Benz, government said on Wednesday.

Government spokesperson Themba Maseko said ministers raised the issue at the first meeting of President Jacob Zuma’s new cabinet and commended Ndebele for returning the car, but mooted revisiting the executive code of ethics.

“Cabinet raised the issue… Maybe we need to look at the ethics handbook to make sure there is proper guidance,” he said.

“Ministers will always be given gifts and as the new cabinet we should discuss how these things are handled.”

Ndebele bowed to public pressure on Tuesday and [continue reading]

source: Mmegi
NDINGILILO GAOSWEDIWE
Correspondent

MAROBELA: Minister Jacob Nkate and Marobela Brigade board chairperson, Limit Manewe on Friday signed an agreement marking the government’s take over of Marobela Brigade Development Trust (MBDT).

Amongst the 41 brigades countrywide, Marobela was chosen first for its outstanding performance, including efficient account records following thorough auditing.

After long talks, consultations and a comprehensive review of brigades, the government decided to take over brigades and convert them into technical colleges or satellite campuses so that they can upgrade their standards.

“We want to produce graduates that meet the current market demand,” said Nkate.
Commenting about the services of the brigades, Nkate said the brigades have made a positive contribution to [continue reading]

source: SouthAfrica.info
20 May 2009

There will be no retrenchments at Vodacom as a result of the sale of 65% of the company to the UK’s Vodafone, the SA cell phone giant said on Tuesday.

“We can only see positives coming out of this,” Vodacom spokesperson Dot Field told Sapa on the sidelines of the group’s annual results presentation in Johannesburg.

“We operate from engagement, and we do understand that there will always be some differences between us and others.

“We have many stakeholders in the industry and we have the uttermost respect for the roles they play.”

Field said Vodacom needed to reach out to both the Congress of SA Trade Unions and the Independent Communications Authority of SA to find out what issues were [continue reading]