SAs Lottery process still in limbo

source: IOL
Boyd Webb
May 30 2007 at 11:36AM

The lottery saga will be resolved soon, Trade and Industry Minister Mandisi Mpahlwa has confidently predicted on Tuesday as critics again lambasted him for mishandling the issue.

The minister suspended the lottery at the end of March after the Pretoria High Court ruled that the awarding of the lottery contract to preferred bidder Gidani was flawed.

It was found that Gidani and runner-up, Uthingo, had links to senior ANC members and government ministers, which was prohibited in terms of the Lotteries Act.

“The last time I addressed the media on this issue I said I would make a further statement on this matter at the end of the month, and I do intend to do so because the work has been going on at great steam and I am confident that we will conclude this process soon,” he said during his budget speech.

‘The minister suspended the lottery at the end of March’
However, in an uncharacteristic outburst, Mpahlwa said that neither he nor his department had ever “put a foot wrong on the issue” and that the High Court judgment had been “appealable”.

He argued that applications had been processed and that the [continue reading]

Advertisements


%d bloggers like this: