Archive for February 28th, 2009
27 February, 2009
SEROWE – The Member of Parliament for Serowe North East constituency, Mr Ramadeluka Seretse has called on the political leaders and the civil servants in the Serowe/Palapye Sub-district to develop a strategy that expediate implementation of government projects.
Mr Seretse expressed concern that some government projects, which were included in the Sub-District 2007/08 financial year budget, have been shelved whilst some have not even taken off the ground at a time when funds were readily available.
He said this confused state of development, which led to the delay in the orderly implementation of budgeted projects, was due to lack of communication between the civil service authorities and the political leaders.
He cited the Mabeleapodi/Tshimoyapula Road construction project, stating that it was first included in the 2006/07 and then the 2007/08 financial year budget allocations, yet nothing has happened about it even though the funds were availed for [continue reading]
27 February 2009
Pretoria — South African motorists will be forking out 45 cents more per litre of petrol from 4 March, while diesel drivers will enjoy a decrease of 38 cents per litre, the Department of Minerals and Energy reported on Friday.
The wholesale price of diesel with 0.05 percent sulphur content and 0.005 percent sulphur content will decrease by 38 cents a litre.
Speaking to BuaNews on Friday, Chief Economist at Nedbank Dennis Dykes said there had been some under recovery on petrol figures and that he had expected an increase of 40 cents or more in the petrol price.
Diesel on the other hand had an over recovery and he was expected a decrease of over 30 cents.
The increases in the Road Accident Fund (RAF) tax and government fuel levies, as announced by Finance Minister Trevor Manuel in his February 2009 Budget Speech, will come into play in April this year. Mr Dykes explained: “We can expect an additional increase of [continue reading]
Fri, 27 Feb 2009
The Southern African Development Community (SADC) is considering the investment of US$2-billion into Zimbabwe’s reconstruction, South Africa’s Finance Minister, Trevor Manuel, said on Thursday.
This was much less than the $5-billion which Zimbabwean Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai said was needed to reconstruct the crisis-torn country.
“I was present when Prime Minister Tsvangirai gave the number, but it was just a number given,” Manuel told SABC radio in an interview on a meeting of SADC finance ministers this week.
“There’s a document… that actually splits the immediate costs over the next 10 months into two amounts of about a billion dollars each.”
This included a $1-billion loan to “restimulate retail and all kinds of things… that’s one billion we are exploring”, said Manuel.
“The other (is) about a billion dollars for [continue reading]
source: SW Radio Africa
By Alex Bell
27 February 2009
A British bank currently operating in Zimbabwe has been accused of propping up Robert Mugabe, reportedly by transferring money directly to the dictator’s regime.
The accusations by the UK’s Foreign Office were made in internal British government emails last year, which showed concern about the involvement of Standard Chartered Bank in Zimbabwe. According to the emails, seen by the UK’s Telegraph newspaper, an internal Foreign Office briefing document accuses the bank of diverting money directly to Mugabe’s government, through a loans scheme.
According to the Telegraph, the one email, dated August 25 2008, says: “Standard Chartered risks real reputational damage if seen as passing funds to the Government of Zimbabwe.” A further email from July last year accuses banks operating in the country of ‘propping up’ Zimbabwe’s Reserve Bank, which has a notorious reputation for diverting funds to Mugabe’s cronies. The August email even suggests that Standard Chartered should close its operations in the crisis ravaged country, reading: “We should ask the companies to take a long hard look at what they are doing and with whom.”
UK leaders have been particularly critical of [continue reading]
Business Day (Johannesburg)
27 February 2009
Johannesburg — THE Constitutional Court yesterday was not sure whether it had jurisdiction to hear an application by a South African farmer whose farms had been seized in Zimbabwe, because it was not clear whether the court could rule on the president’s conduct in the matter.
Crawford von Abo was granted an order in the Pretoria High Court in July which declared that the failure of the government of former president Thabo Mbeki and of three other ministers to consider, decide and deal with Von Abo’s application for diplomatic protection in respect of the violation of his rights by Zimbabwe was inconsistent with the constitution.
Judge Bill Prinsloo also declared that Von Abo had the right to diplomatic protection from the government regarding the violation of his rights by Zimbabwe.
Von Abo brought yesterday’s application to confirm the order of [continue reading]