Archive for November 8th, 2008
07 November, 2008
GABORONE – Farmers in the districts bordering Ghanzi are concerned about the outbreak of foot and mouth disease but are confident that the situation will be overcome.
Beef farmers associations in the Kweneng and Southern District have expressed confidence that measures taken by the government and the Ghanzi Farmers Association will lead to the containment of the disease.
The Chairperson of the Southern District Beef Farmers Association, Mr Tshepo Masire, welcomed the proposed 2.4 metre game proof fence to be built between the North West and the Ghanzi districts.
The North West District, which has herds of buffaloes that are known to be carriers of foot and mouth virus, lives with the disease; cattle in the district are vaccinated against the disease; but beef from the area is not sold to the lucrative European Union market.
On the other hand, Ghanzi District cannot live with the disease as it is the mainstay of [continue reading]
source: SW Radio Africa
By Violet Gonda
6 November 2008
77 farmers were granted a temporary relief to stay on their farms by the Southern African Development Community (SADC) tribunal held in Namibia in March. However there have been many infringements of this ruling by the Mugabe regime, as disruptions on commercial farms continue.
Ben Freeth, one of the affected farmers, said while the SADC States are taking the law and human rights abuses seriously, the Zimbabwean government is showing the contempt in which it holds the law and the well being of its people. Freeth said: “When farmers are being illegally prevented from farming and the people are starving there is a strong case for it being termed as a crime against humanity.”
The tribunal stated in March: “Accordingly, we order that the Republic of Zimbabwe shall take no steps, or permit to be taken, directly or indirectly, whether by its agents or by orders, to evict from, or interfere with, the peaceful residence on, and the beneficial use of, their properties in respect of the applicants/interveners referred to in the previous paragraph, their employees and the families of such employees.”
However, the Zimbabwean government has been in breach, and in contempt of the [continue reading]
07/11/2008 19:25 – (SA)
Johannesburg – The website of the Independent Electoral Commission was “clogged” by more than 180nbsp;000 visits to the site before noon on Friday, the Commission said.
IEC chief executive Pansy Tlakula said 46 000 ordinary visitors had accessed the site, over 101 000 people visited the site to enquire about whether they were registered to vote, and 37 000 people had asked where they should go to register to vote.
“These numbers are growing by the hour,” Tlakula said.
The IEC was also receiving thousands of SMSes from people wishing to check their registration details.
“There was a time when we were receiving more than 1 800 SMS requests simultaneously. More than 53 000 SMSes were answered in [continue reading]
07 November, 2008
Ministry of health has appointed a management company at Central Medical Stores (CMS) to address the problem of shortage of drugs.
This was said by Assistant Minister of Health, Mr Gaotlhaetse Matlhabaphiri when answering a question in Parliament. He said the move improved drug availability at CMS and by extension at hospitals.
As of September, he said, all hospitals had high blood pressure medicines.
He explained that to further ensure that drugs were available, the ministry allocated hospitals money to [continue reading]
source: SW Radio Africa
By Alex Bell
07 November 2008
Zimbabwe’s largest gold mining firm has stopped operations at its five mines across the country, resulting in 5,000 people losing their jobs and officials laying the blame squarely at the door of the Central Bank.
The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) has recently come under severe scrutiny after international donor group, Global Fund, announced that more than US$7 million in donations had been diverted by the central bank for other purposes. The group suspended future grants to Zimbabwe until the money was repaid, a move which immediately saw the central bank come up with the millions that were repaid on Friday.
But the bank will now have to answer for the closure of Metallon Gold’s five mines, after officials said this week’s closure resulted from long delays receiving payments for gold delivered to the RBZ.
“We have no mine which is operating at the moment,” Metallon Gold’s CEO Collen Gura said on [continue reading]