Archive for May 3rd, 2007

source: IOL
May 03 2007 at 01:59PM

Government has asked the public to be patient while the problems with the new electronic National Traffic Information System (eNatis) are being worked out.

Transport Minister Jeff Radebe briefed the cabinet about the problems following the introduction of eNaTIS last month, government spokesperson Themba Maseko said at a post-Cabinet meeting media briefing on Thursday in Pretoria.

He said consultants and specialists were working to “identify and address all the hiccups. It is important to note that the problems are not generalised problems, they are taking place at certain points of service in specific areas around the country”.

Backlogs, technical glitches and shaky, slow systems have been reported at testing stations around the country.

Maseko said the system was already performing 55 000 transactions an hour, much more than the 35 000 the old system was able to handle.

“Cabinet noted the frustration experienced and calls on the public to exercise patience during this period as the new system will bring great benefits both to the public and the authorities in the long term,” he said. – Sapa

found @ IOL

source: BOPA
02 May, 2007

GABORONE – Although the Southern African Development Community (SADC) countries would have no power surplus capacity by the end of 2007, the problem would be overcome by 2010 if planned projects are implemented and commissioned on schedule.

A press release from SADC says this would enhance the regions preparedness to host the 2010 Soccer World Cup.

It said the SADC ministers of energy met in Harare last week and signed the revised Southern African Power Pool (SAPP) Inter Utility Memorandum of Understanding and SAPP-RERA (Regional Energy Regulator Association) Memorandum of Understanding.

The release says the RERA would now be working formally with SAPP in recognition of the benefits to be achieved in respect of their respective goals, capacity building and harmonisation of rules and regulations.

The release further said that the ministers registered their recognition of energy as a prerequisite for socio-economic development and for the attainment of the Millennium Development Goals.

They observed with concern, however, that, inspite of the region being well endorsed with energy resource the overall per capita energy consumption was far below the world average, said the release.

In particular, the release said the ministers noted that biomass is a major source of energy for the rural and poor urban areas accounting for over 70 per cent of the total energy demand.

It further said that continuing poverty and the high cost associated with accessing the modern and more convenient forms of energy are some of the major factors that confine the majority of the people to the use of biofuels.

The ministers deliberated on the trends and developments in the SADC energy sector, the rate and level of implementation of [continue reading]

source: allAfrica

Mmegi/The Reporter (Gaborone)

April 30, 2007
Posted to the web May 1, 2007

Lekopanye Mooketsi

The Air Botswana (AB) privatisation saga might end up in court because the Botswana Congress Party (BCP) is contemplating suing the government over the issue. This follows Works and Transport Minister Lesego Motsumi’s decision to continue negotiating with South African company, Air Link after Parliament had moved a motion halting the talks.

BCP Publicity Secretary, Dumelang Saleshando, said in Gaborone over the weekend that they were seeking possibilities of stopping negotiations through a court injunction.
Africa 2007

Saleshando said they were still consulting on the matter, which was on the agenda of the BCP Central Committee’s meeting held at the weekend. He indicated that they would have arrived at a decision by today. Saleshando said their view was that the negotiations violated the Air Botswana Transition Act. “We believe that the executive is compelled to respect the motions of Parliament,” said Saleshando, who is also the Member of Parliament (MP) for Gaborone Central.

He said they disagreed with Attorney General Athaliah Molokomme’s contention that there was nothing wrong with [continue reading]

source: Mmegi Online

SAM MBAIWA
CORRESPONDENT

The Ministry of Works and Transport has said that the road between Mopipi and Rakops in the Boteti Sub-District has been re-opened, after the completion of construction that started in February last year. However, road markings are yet to be done on the road.

Therefore, the ministry has advised motorists to drive with care and obey the 120 kph maximum speed limit and all other road traffic signs. The project was delayed by six months due to inclement weather, shortage of construction water, poblems in accessing the Xhumo quarry and additional works.
The newly built Mopipi-Rakops road has been improved from its old status of a low cost road. It was  bituminised in the 1980s through the Rural Roads programme. Before the latest phase of works, the alignment of the road lacked proper geometry with very little comfort and safety to traffic. It had many short and tight bends, which were hazardous and [continue reading]

 source: allAfrica
Mmegi/The Reporter  (Gaborone)
May 2, 2007
Posted to the web May 2, 2007

Tshireletso Motlogelwa

The Chinese Embassy in Gaborone has offered to help Botswana to curb software piracy. A spokesperson at the embassy, Vhou Vhigang said that although they are aware that the Chinese in Botswana may be involved in the rampant sales of fake DVDs, CDs and other software, their hands are tied because they cannot arrest the offenders. However, since China has experience in dealing with piracy, it can assist Botswana.

Botswana was recently rated 15th in the list of countries where software piracy is rampant.

“The Chinese government as you would have heard is concerned about these issues and we do not want our citizens engaged in any unlawful activity. We would lend our assistance if it is required, be it logistically or otherwise,” explained Vhigang.

The Chinese government has been engaged in an anti-piracy campaign that includes destroying counterfeit DVDs and putting legislative initiatives in place.

Much of the initial pressure on China has been exerted by [continue reading]

source: BBC Sport

Fifa president Sepp Blatter

Sepp Blatter has once again given his backing to South Africa

Fifa President Sepp Blatter has said he has no doubts that the 2010 World Cup will take place in South Africa short of a natural disaster. “It will take place in South Africa…I have no doubts. The plan B is South Africa, plan C is South Africa,” Blatter said.

He added that he would publicly proclaim the world governing body’s confidence in South Africa’s ability to organise the event at Fifa’s Congress from 29 May.

“Seven (South African) ministers will be there. I will confirm in front of the whole congress that South Africa will organise the World Cup,” he told journalists.

Fifa’s executive committee gave the South Africans their full backing in March, following months of doubts caused by [continue reading]

source: IOL
May 02 2007 at 07:52AM

By Colleen Dardagan

Fifa has given South Africa the go-ahead to allow visiting soccer teams during the 2010 World Cup to base themselves in neighbouring countries, provided stringent host city requirements are met.

The request was made last year and SA’s local organising committee CEO Danny Jordaan said it was an attempt to spread the impact of the event to other countries in the SADC region.

“Other African countries must be involved as much as possible in Africa’s first World Cup.

‘Other African countries must be involved as much as possible in Africa’s first World Cup’
“We are expecting between 350 000 and 450 000 overseas visitors for the finals. If fans follow their teams to neighbouring countries it would [continue reading]





Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 40 other followers